Rocking Chair Test:

Thursday 17 November 2011

Departure etc.


So after months in the planning the time arrived to put the last few things in the backpack and head off.  The farewell drinks Saturday night were surprisingly tear free.  Well, until Mr Gilby played me the travel playlist he’d created for me.  Sunday Lunch wasn’t so dry though.  Family gathered in the Gwaelod Inn for a final proper Welsh roast dinner. For a while at least. Every time I looked at my mum beginning to well up, my incredible Nephew Rhys said ‘Auntie Hannah’ in the funny little way he says it or my beautiful new niece Katie gave me one of her million watt smiles I was off.  But I was determined not to spend my last couple of hours with the people I love the most in the world sobbing so I kept reminding myself that I was going on the adventure of a lifetime, they would all be here when I got back and 5 ½ months is in fact only 140 days.

Once on the plane I started flicking through the in-flight magazine, as you do.  Duty Free were selling a Lego Stars Wars watch with R2 D2 figure.  Cue tears. The Whiteman residence is scattered with Lego Star Wars stuff, and Rhys doesn’t go anywhere without Padmee clasped in hand or buried in pocket.  Shit, if this stuff was going to set me off I was going to be in trouble.  However the nostalgia trip soon ended as I got talking to my fellow passengers, a very nice gentleman and his mother. It transpired he worked for WAG, in fact BETS my old department.  As soon as he found out I was an ex Edwina Hart minion the moaning started.  Ah, yes I remember why I’m doing this and suddenly have a huge smile on my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment