Rocking Chair Test:

Saturday 19 November 2011

Times they're not a changin.


This is going to be written super quickly as I’ve fallen so far behind, I’m now writing what has happened 5 days ago and need to catch-up and start witting at the end of each day.

So in a nutshell:

Botanic Gardens.
OK, nice open spaces, some impressive orchids.
A ‘Margret Thatcher Orchid’ in the ‘VIP Orchid Garden’. I guess they didn’t have a ‘Milk Snatching, Society Crushing, Hateful Old Hag Garden’.

There was also a ‘Nelson Mandela Orchid’ there.  I have no problem with this.

I had been looking forward to a visit to Singapore Zoo.  Now I don’t do zoos as a rule.  Ever since I watched a polar bear pacing back and forth under the sweltering sun  with only a shallow dirty pool of water to paddle in on a school trip to Bristol Zoo.  But, this is 2011 and this is hailed as the ‘World’s Best Zoo’.  Maybe things have changed I think.  Well they have changed, a bit.  But they still suck.  First we arrived and got shuffled towards ‘The Amazing Animal Show’.  One of those mind shrinking displays of over the top fake enthusiasm by a host dressed in jungle gear, continually asking ‘Are we all having a good time?’ And of course the audience get asked this twice because the initial response wasn’t enthusiastic enough.  What followed was a parade of animals that just looked a bit embarrassed to be there.  So was I and left before the end.

Onto a land train wandering through the park.  Now the zoo may ‘have no cages’. But what’s in a name?  Do we honestly believe that the tiger can wander off to see the hippos anytime?  No.  So yes, I didn’t see a barbed wire fence, but the tiger was still behind thick glass, pacing in the same way that polar bear had 25 years ago.  I still don’t do zoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment